Welcome from Program Director
Thank you for your interest in the Pediatric Emergency Medicine (PEM) Fellowship training program at Spectrum Health/ Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital in collaboration with Emergency Care Specialists. We are very excited to offer our new PEM fellowship program in the only free standing children’s hospital in beautiful West Michigan!
The Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital opened in 2011 and has grown to be a national leader in training residents and fellows from all over the country. Our state of the art emergency department has over 50,000 pediatric emergency care visits each year. We have a strong emergency medicine residency in our adult counterpart, Butterworth Hospital, which has been training residents for the last 40 years. We are a designated regional Level I trauma center for both adults and pediatric patients. We have extensive subspecialty support available in both our pediatric and adult training hospitals. We have a strong PEM faculty of 12 board certified physicians with diverse training experiences, who are all committed to training our graduates so they can achieve their highest potential as a clinician and an academician. The Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital PEM Fellowship program is affiliated with Michigan State University (MSU) and offers opportunities for ample educational and research activities through the University.
ABOUT ME: I attended medical school at Maulana Azad Medical College, in New Delhi India. Thereafter, I completed my pediatric residency and pediatric emergency medicine fellowship at Children’s Hospital of Michigan in Detroit. After my fellowship, I worked at Children’s National Medical Center in Washington DC for a few years where I was involved in emergency department quality and safety work and research projects with the fellows. In 2012, we moved back to Michigan, this time on the west side of the state, to work at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital. I thoroughly enjoy interacting and working with pediatric and emergency medicine residents. I am thrilled to be a part of the PEM Fellowship program to train future leaders and educators in PEM. I love living in the vibrant, cultural city of Grand Rapids, with excellent schools for my children and numerous fun filled activities for the entire family.
I invite you to learn more about our program as well the beautiful city of Grand Rapids!
Program Director: Bhawana Arora, MD
Associate Program Director: Christopher A. Benner, MD
Program Administrator: Erin Willacker
To provide you with the training, education, support and guidance that will allow you to excel as a clinician and educator
The PEM Fellowship Program in Grand Rapids, Michigan is one of several graduate education programs offered through the Spectrum Health GME/ Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital.
- 3-year fellowship and 2 year fellowship for Pediatric and EM trained residents respectively
- ACGME accredited for 1 fellow per year
- Clinical supervision by board certified PEM Physicians in a 35 bed state-of-the-art unit
- Regional Level 1 trauma center
- Affiliated with the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
- High volume adult and pediatric emergency departments in state-of-the-art facilities totaling over 200,000 visits in Grand Rapids annually
- The only PEM fellowship in the only free-standing pediatric hospital in West Michigan
- Community-based hospitals in partnership with Michigan State University to form a hybrid community and academic practice environment
- Subspecialty support 24/7, mixed private and hospital-based physician subspecialty groups
- Dedicated PEM faculty with 24/7 coverage
- Structured simulation curriculum for procedures and medical/trauma resuscitations
- Dedicated ultrasound faculty with ultrasound fellowship
- Research support from Spectrum Health, Michigan State University and the Emergency Medicine Department